Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Recovery

Recovery... besides the surgery itself, this is one of the least pleasant parts of battling breast cancer. Since this is now my 5th recovery from surgery, I feel like I'm quite the expert in the art of it. Yet I never remember how bad it is until I'm actually doing it.

I will say, this time has been much better than previous surgeries. The pain is manageable, a term I probably wouldn't have used in previous surgeries as I was agonizing over waiting a full 4 hours to take my next pill. The discomfort this time is mainly in my thighs, where they pulled fat for my breasts, as well as in my upper groin, where they removed skin to do the graft for my nipples. At this point, a little over the 2 week mark, I'm slowly trying to wean myself off of the pain meds and I'm eager to feel complete again... especially as I read my previous post where I was feeling so wonderful and healthy from being back on the exercise train and confident enough to partake in daily routines such as errands and meeting friends without any fears.

The fears are back, but I hope for only a short period. I'm back to gingerly walking around the house, trying not to raise my heart rate (whatever that means!), and declining activities such as meeting at restaurants to watch the games for fear of being bumped into by rowdy people or tearing a suture that needs more healing. I'm doing the t-rex thing, trying not to lift my arms. I challenge all of you to do this for 24 hours! You don't realize how much you need your range for every little movement you make. I'm back to sleeping on my back for 6 weeks, a position I detest as it causes havoc to my lower back. And I'm a walking mummy completely wrapped up in surgical tape and gauze, plus an extremely unpleasant lower garment that is much like the tightest pair of spanx you've ever worn, with a hole for the daily rituals I don't need to describe. My husband has resumed his caretaking role as my pill monitor, bathing nurse and suture/gauze replacer. And my life basically seems to be on hold until I'm back to feeling better.

I do know I'm slowly starting to feel better because I start to look around the house, nitpicking at little things I need to do. I've managed to do a little spring cleaning of my drawers, piling up 4 big bags of items to give away to Good Will. And I'm getting a little stir crazy, craving company, earning to be outdoors, missing my attempts at cooking, and aching for some good old fashion cardio to get my blood pumping!

The day of the surgery was a bit of an experience for me. As my first late afternoon surgery, I didn't get wheeled into the operating room until around 5:30pm. When I woke up from the anesthesia, the nurses who treated me had no compassion for what I just went through, and for the first time after 5 surgeries, I am filing a complaint based on the treatment I received in the recovery room. All that said, my nipples are looking pretty good, the skin graft site seems to be healing without infection, and my thighs simply feel like I had a really intense day of exercise which is a "good pain" that I gladly welcome.

Nothing much more to report... I'm recuperating and hoping for a complete and full recovery in a few short weeks!



No comments:

Post a Comment