Monday, February 25, 2013

Milestones

This past week has been one of milestones, mini-victories which I am proud to report and celebrate with you. As my wise husband told me at the start of this, "celebrate the little wins", and I will continue to do that and share with you these good little nuggets of gold that keep me motivated.

First, not only did I manage to wash my own hair, I also managed to take a shower 100% on my own! Yes, 3 months ago I certainly would not think something like this could create such overwhelming happiness, but believe it or not I have been incapable of showering on my own since January 11th. To be able to reach the top of my head and lather it with shampoo, to bend over and scrub my own toes... these are the things that make me happy now, these are the ways I measure how much better I am today than I was after my double M.

Second, I'm driving on my own. Not far drives, but local trips to my physical therapist or my doctor. As I still don't have complete range of motion, I'm definitely trying to avoid this as much as possible. But someone needs to "bring home the bacon" right now (yes, that would be Jon), so I'm thankful to have the ability to get to these appointments on my own.

Third, today my Plastic Surgeon removed the surgical tape which has been wrapped around my chest (both above and below) since January 11th. Not only did the tape make me feel like I was constricted by a corset 24/7, it also irritated my skin which caused a lot of itching and rashes. Although I've been sleeping nicely on Benadryl every night, I feel like I'm one of those girls in those period films whose been freed from the mean mother who tightens the laces on her corset as the girl gasps to find air!

Fourth, speaking of drugs, I'm slowly weening myself off of the pain meds from the surgeries. I hated being too dependent on these things, and I'm finally able to last up to 10 hours without anything.

Fifth, today I received my very first "fill" into my tissue expanders. My Plastic Surgeon numbed each breast and then filled each side with 50 cc's of saline. No pain, not even any pressure. I've heard this can be quite painful, so I'll see how I feel tomorrow as well as the next round (perhaps when they inject more than 50 cc's), but as of now I'm quite happy that I've healed enough to get my very first fill!

Last, my Plastic Surgeon gave me the green light to start chemotherapy this week. As mentioned on my last post, I've been full of anxiety about this next stage in my treatment. Last weeks delay was so disappointing to me, and I was very fearful it was going to be delayed again as I wasn't sure I was healing quick enough. I couldn't fathom having to wait it out another week, but luckily I won't have to. 

So, chemotherapy officially starts on Thursday February 28th. Here's what I know. On Wednesday I will go in and get my blood drawn where they will make sure my red blood count, white blood count, platelet count, etc are all in good order to start chemo. I will also begin the steroids I've been prescribed with, along with all the other over-the-counter meds to prepare me for the long list of chemo side effects. On Thursday I will meet with my Oncologist, and then they'll take me to the chemo room where I'll sit on a lounge chair, get hooked up to an IV and slowly get injected with Cytoxan and Taxotere - the 2 main cancer-fighting drugs that make up my "chemo cocktail". They'll also drip in some nausea fighting drugs like Emend, in hopes that I won't get sick from the drugs. My first session will be closely monitored, as a few people have allergic reactions to the drugs so they'll want to make sure I'm not "one of those few". It should last between 3-4 hours, after which I am told I should go home and "do nothing". Friday I will go back and get a shot of Neulasta, which will help increase my white blood cell count, but has a side effect of bone pain (apparently worse for younger chemo patients, which definitely includes me). So yes... more over-the-counter drugs to address that. Apparently the 4th-5th day have been known to be the worst, when the good drugs start wearing off and you begin to feel the effects of chemotherapy, so Sunday and Monday will be telling.

When do I lose my hair? I didn't realize that chemotherapy actually isn't something that specifically kills "cancer cells". Instead it kills "fast growing cells". The fast growing cells in our bodies (besides the cancer cells in mine) are things like hair, cells in our mouths, etc. So the reason for the hair loss is that chemotherapy is actually killing the cells that produce the hair. Apparently I should expect to lose my hair by the 3rd week. I have no doubt that will be a very difficult day for me. But I do have "Niki", "Roxy", "Suki" and "Crystal" all on stand-by for when that day happens. 

So the waiting will soon be over, and by this time next week I'll be 25% done with Chemotherapy. I'll keep you tabbed on how I do, your guess at this point is as good as mine. But I'm keeping my spirits up as promised, and celebrating my mini victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment