Monday, January 14, 2013

Home Sweet Home

It's now Monday night, last update was when Niki had just checked into Serenity Recovery Center. Three days and two nights later, we came back home on Sunday afternoon. Serenity is where Niki realized how sore she actually was and I saw firsthand the care that I would be in charge of administering the next few weeks. Niki has come a long way from Friday night, when she was hooked up to IV's, barely keeping her eyes open to Saturday of eating threes meals, enjoying the visits of caring friends and walking 1 lap around the floor. The recovery was beginning. Sunday we loaded Niki into my car and got her home and in bed. Serenity was nice but there's always nothing Iike home. I picked Niki's mom up from LAX Sunday afternoon and Niki was having miso soup for dinner. Monday was spent getting everyone used to the home care that hopefully will keep Niki on the road to recovery. Niki was and is really sore but managing it with some pain killers and sleep. She has begun to get herself in and out of bed ... and is now eyeing the shower. She does still have 2 drains attached to her, that we empty twice a day and are hopeful they will be removed by Dr Grunwald at this Wednesdays checkup. Let's all keep our fingers crossed the next couple weeks, as we will begin to get tests results, that will determine what the next couple months have in store for us.

We heard today that the first batch of I Will Be Fierce t shirts have sold out and they are running a second batch! Very cool! Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Nicole,
    I'm praying for you throughout the day and I know you will come through this journey healthy and enriched. The "enriched" part might sound weird, but my experience with breast cancer, though sometimes difficult, also gave me unique gifts: an insight into my internal strength, the ability to ask for help, which had always been tough for me before, and a greater perspective on what's important in life. Here's one suggestion that another cancer survivor gave me that helped me so much on a daily basis. Nelson Mandela recited a poem to himself each and every day of his captivity, to remind himself that he was not a victim. It's called Invictus and I still read it out loud every morning to bring me in touch with all my blessings.
    Perhaps it will help you as well.

    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody but unbowed.

    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I AM THE MASTER OF MY FATE:
    I AM THE CAPTAIN OF MY SOUL.

    We love you Nicole.

    ReplyDelete